Components (one loaf of 750 grams):
500 grams local organic stone ground wholemeal flour (wheat, spelt or rye)
375 grams of water
12 grams of salt
150 grams of solid sourdough starter
- Crumble the starter into 375 gr. of warm water. Add the salt and 450 grams of the flour. Mix well and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Use the 50 grams of flour left to flour the work surface and a bit on the dough.
- Fold the dough twice, like you would an envelope – from the outside in from 4 directions and kneed another 8 times gently.
- After the second fold let rise for about 6 to 12 hours. the dough should double in size.
- At this stage, remove a piece of dough, place it in a floured box the refrigerator and it will be your sourdough starter next time you want to make bread.
- Shape the dough that has risen to a loaf and let rise another two hours. It is an option to put it in a basket to give it a pattern. Cover with floured cloth with the “seam” of theloaf up and the smooth side down.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 230 degrees celsius for about 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 2000C.
- During the first ten minutes add steam to oven 3 times by pouring a little water on the bottom of the oven or by placing an ice cube on the bottom of the oven.
- Bake for another 30-40 minutes. Total baking time should be 40 to 50 minutes. Do not use the turbo fan!!
- Cool for at least an hour before slicing (for rye bread – cool for 5 hours at least).
Photo: Asaf Ronen